Five Critical Reasons Why You Need to Hire a Lawyer After a Fatal Accident
There is nothing more tragic than losing a loved one in a fatal accident. Those that have to endure this traumatizing event end up having to deal with immense feelings of guilt, depression, and stress, as well as facing extensive financial issues that they never had to consider before, such as astronomical medical bills, significant funeral and burial costs, and a loss of financial support that they have come to rely on.
However, you do not have to handle this traumatizing ordeal on your own. With the help of an experienced wrongful death lawyer, you can get the legal assistance you need to fight for the compensation and justice you deserve. Not convinced that you need a lawyer fighting on your side? This blog post will cover the five critical reasons why you need to hire an attorney after a fatal accident.
1. These Lawyers Can Help You Figure Out The Full Extent of Your Damages
Unfortunately, most people have no idea of the financial impact of losing a family member, especially when their loved one is the family’s breadwinner. Typically, these survivors will not only have to deal with losing an income, but if their family member had received any medical treatments before they passed, they will soon be on the hook for these extensive medical bills.
However, when you work with an experienced wrongful death attorney, these lawyers can help protect your rights and figure out the full extent of your damages. For instance, besides medical expenses and lost wages, these lawyers can help you go after compensation for a loss of companionship, guidance, care, support, and consortium- ensuring that you get every last dollar you deserve.
2. These Lawyers Can Help You Get the Evidence You Need to Prove Liability
If you have lost a family member in a fatal accident, your claim will only be as strong as the evidence you present. That is why it is imperative that you obtain detailed and relevant proof that can help show fault and damages. This strong evidence will typically include videos and photos of the accident scene, witness testimony and contact information, police and medical reports, and other physical evidence that can show what happened.
However, do not worry if you have no idea how to get this evidence. When you contact a skilled wrongful death lawyer, these attorneys can handle this process for you. Once retained, they can promptly get to work investigating this fatal accident and securing the documents and evidence needed to show what happened and who was at fault. Plus, if any of this evidence is being withheld, such as phone records, or surveillance recordings of the accident, your lawyer can file a subpoena to obtain it.
In situations where the liability is disputed, these lawyers can also bring in experts such as accident reconstructionists and engineers to confirm your version of the events and substantiate your claims.
3. These Lawyers Can Help You Avoid Making a Mistake
Most individuals believe that if they lost a loved one in a crash, the insurance company will want to help them recover their financial losses. Yet, this is rarely the case. Insurance companies are businesses that want to make money. By offering you less, they end up making more. For these reasons, the insurance adjuster will look for any reason to reduce their liability or deny your claim altogether.
However, when you discuss your case with a wrongful death lawyer, these attorneys can make sure that you avoid making some of the following common mistakes that can affect your claim, such as:
- Posting Details About the Incident Online: When you lose your loved one, you may find it beneficial to look for support on internet forums or post about the incident on your social media sites. Unfortunately, insurance companies are looking for any piece of evidence to dispute your claim. By publishing details about the accident online, it can end up hurting your claim and the amount of money you receive.
- Not Paying Attention to Filing Deadlines: In Louisiana, a personal representative or a surviving family member only has one year from their loved one’s death to file a wrongful death claim. If this deadline is missed, the survivors may be barred from pursuing compensation for their losses. However, when you contact a wrongful death attorney after the fatal accident, they can ensure that all your legal documents and motions are filed before this time runs out.
- Talking to the Insurance Company: One of the most significant mistakes survivors make when discussing the fatal accident with the insurance company is making statements that imply that their deceased family member or loved one was liable for the deadly accident. As soon as the insurance company obtains this statement, they will use it to dispute your claim. For these reasons, you should never provide the insurance adjuster with any recorded statements or make any implications that the deceased was in any way at fault for the accident. In fact, it may be in your best interest to leave all these conversations with the insurance company to your wrongful death attorney. Once these lawyers take over these conversations, they can ensure you do not say anything that can impact your case and help you get the money you are entitled to.
4. These Lawyers Can Help You Negotiate a Fair Settlement
Following a fatal accident, the insurance company may offer you a settlement amount to resolve the issue. Yet, even though you really need this money to help cover the extensive bills that keep mounting, it may not be in your best interest. Typically, this settlement amount is usually only a meager offer that barely covers any of your costs. But the insurance company hopes that by offering it to you quickly, you will not discuss this amount with an attorney and accept it before any further legal action is taken. However, if you accept it, you will not be able to collect any additional compensation down the line. That is why before you take action on a settlement offer, you must discuss this amount with a knowledgeable wrongful death attorney. These lawyers can verify that this offer is fair to you, and if it is not, they can head back to the negotiation table and fight for a settlement that is.
5. These Lawyers Can Litigate Your Case If It Heads To Trial
If you and the other side cannot reach a settlement agreement, your lawyer can head to trial and pursue maximum damages. With a wrongful death lawyer in your corner, you can rest assured that these attorneys can present vital evidence proving fault and damages, question critical witnesses that can back up your claims, and present a solid case to get the money you and your family need.
If a fatal accident has turned your life upside down, do not wait to get the legal help you and your family require. At Charbonnet Law Firm, LLC, we are here for you, ready to obtain the money you need and the justice you deserve. Contact us online today or call us at (504) 294-5094 for a free case consultation.