Modifying Your Child Support In Louisiana

Posted on July 28, 2017

When child support agreements are made, they are based on the parents’ specific circumstances at the time. As life changes, so do people’s situations, incomes, etc. It is not uncommon for a parent to need to modify their child support because they either can’t make their full payments or because they’re not receiving enough to support their children. If you feel like your existing child support agreement needs to be modified, how do you go about making this happen?

If Your Child’s Parent Agrees To Modify Child Support

photo by Melanie Tickell

The first thing you should do if you need to modify your child support terms is to ask you child’s other parent. If the other parent agrees to modify the child support terms, you can just ask a judge to approve the terms you’ve agreed to. Just explain why you need to make the adjustment and the amount you’ve agreed to.

Asking The Court To Modify Your Child Support

If you and your child’s other parent can’t come to an agreement on the modification, you will have to set a hearing to ask a judge to modify it for you. At the court hearing, you and your ex will get a chance to argue for the amount that you each think is fair. If this is the route you take, make sure to come with evidence that your financial circumstances have changed since the terms were set last.

When modifying your child support, the court can either decide to make a temporary change or a permanent one. The following changes will typically prompt a temporary modification:

  • A medical emergency suffered by the child
  • The paying parent’s temporary inability to pay because of illness or a temporary additional financial burden
  • A temporary financial or medical hardship on the parent whom receives the payment

If you are granted a permanent modification it will remain in effect until support is no longer required or if the order has to be modified again at a later time.